Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Playlist of Terribly Excellent Guilty Pleasures


For this post, I asked some of my friends and family about their guilty pleasure songs: the songs that are decidedly terrible, but for one reason or another still hold a special secret place in our hearts. Under the promise of complete anonymity, I learned what songs people secretly and legitimately adore.

I apologize in advance for getting any of these songs stuck in your head.


1. Talk Dirty to Me - This song was my personal pick. I cannot get enough of it, and there was a point when it first came out where I listened to it every time I got in my car. I was even inspired to make my own ukulele version.


2. I want it that way - Deep down we all thought the Backstreet Boys had it goin' on back in the 90s. Clearly some of us still think they've got it goin' on.  


3. Everytime We Touch - Thank you, Cascada for giving me a precious few moments at junior high dances that weren't about bumping and grinding, where I could instead alternate jump around during the chorus and do those weird Matrix sways during the verses. 


4. Save the Last Dance for Me - Michael Bublé's cover of The Drifter's hit from the 60s has the cheesiest way of making every girl feel like the man of their dreams is waiting to sweep them off their feet at the end of the night. I would save the last dance for Bublé any day.



5. Boyfriend - I think we all knew that a Justin Bieber song would make this list. However, I was surprised at how many people suggested the acoustic version of Justin Bieber's Boyfriend, especially because I didn't even know it existed. Upon finding it on YouTube, I must admit that I didn't hate it. Don't judge. Give it a listen.


6. 4'33 - This piece famously divisive. Written by John Cage, it's four minutes and thirty three seconds of slience: the music is whatever sounds occur during that time. Some consider that music, and some do not. And some (like me) think it's entertaining to listen to people fight about it, which is why 4'33 made the list of guilty pleasures.


7. Kiss me - This hit by Six Pence None the Richer is the musical equivalent of a chick flick, so it's no surprise why so many guys picked this one as their favorite awful song.


8. Mambo No. 5 - Does the mention of this song bring anyone else back to their skating party days? And what's more, was anyone actually listening to those lyrics or were we all just too entranced by fun 20s music? And my last question: where are Mambos 1-4?



9. Just a Friend - The singing is bad, the lyrics are bad, and yet somehow this song is oddly endearing.



10. Believe - There is life after love (after love) (after love) (after love), and Cher won't let us forget it! Whether you first experienced this song during a painful break-up, at the club, or just playing Dance Dance Revolution you know that Cher's hypnotic voice and dance beat cannot be resisted. Thanks, Cher!





There you have it, folks. Let me know what you think. If your favorite guilty pleasure didn't make the list, leave a comment!




No comments:

Post a Comment