Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Networking in Bars and its Effect on my Musical Ability

Last fall, I encountered a rather unconventional networking networking opportunity. I was two or three drinks in at a bar near campus during homecoming week when I bumped into an alumnus of the university who does PR in Chicago named Kim. As an advertising and public relations major, I was very interested in getting some career tips from her.

Long story short, she mentioned needing some help with social media content for a Chicago-area chamber ensemble. My music student heart nearly burst when she told me this. We chatted about this new client of hers over gin and tonics for a while, exchanged emails, and the rest is history. 

Since late January, I've been working on social media for Civitas, the outreach chamber ensemble. As a result, I've met members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, sharpened my once non-existent social media writing skills, gained an understanding of what the PR pros do, and learned things about chamber music that I can apply to what I do in the chamber choir I'm in for school!

A few days ago, Kim was back in Lincoln and we met for some adult beverages to talk about Civitas and career opportunities in Chicago. At the end of the day, I guess what I'm trying to say is, you really never know where you're to run into someone who can help you advance your career. So when people offer you internships, even if this happens when you're drinking, take them up on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment