Sunday, February 22, 2015

Drinking Songs

Much like a fine wine can be paired with gourmet meals, music can be expertly paired with alcoholBoth booze and music can be catalysts for celebration and expression, and when combined make for a sublime experience. For today’s post, I paired a few music genres with drinks that compliment each to perfection. I also included a Spotify playlist so you can make a drink (or two or three) and enjoy some good tunes at the same time.


  1. Country - Beer: Any kind. Cheap, homemade, from a keg, or in a Dixie cup. There is nothing pretentious about classic country, and nothing gets these musicians through heartache and hurt like a cold brew and some twangy guitar.
I suggest: Emmylou Harris, George Jones, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson
  1. Rap - Any kind of bottle that can be popped. While champagne is traditionally the drink of choice,the liquid in the bottle is not nearly as important as how baller you feel when you when you let it fly all over the couch you’re jumping on.
I suggest: Far East Movement, 50 Cent, Jay Z., Missy Elliott
  1. Indie - Craft beer, some obscure brew you’ve probably never heard of. Like craft beer, there’s so much indie music to take in it’s best to discover your favorites by sharing with friends.
I suggest: Gotye, Alabama Shakes, Misterwives
  1. Jazz - Gin Rickey: (Gin, lime, soda) Famously F. Scott Fitzgerald’s favorite cocktail, the Gin Rickey was a popular drink during the 20s when booze was banned jazz flourished.
I suggest: Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Glenn Miller Orchestra
  1. Karaoke - Whatever got you feeling confident enough to crawl up on a stage and give it your all. Keep drinking it until you can’t read the lyrics on the screen in front of you. You're a rockstar.
I suggest: Michael Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Meatloaf
  1. Opera - Red Wine: Everyone on stage is singing about it, so why wouldn’t you? Much like a fine red wine, the opera is a classic artform, aged to perfection, and steeped in tradition.
I suggest: Verdi, Puccini, Donizetti
  1. Acoustic - Your favorite coffee: I firmly believe that coffee and acoustic music (and perhaps an ibuprofen or two) are a fool-proof combination to clear up any aches and pains caused by the previous night’s activities.
I suggest: Obadiah Parker, Tracy Chapman, Jason Mraz

That's all I've got for you, please enjoy the playlist I put together, and leave comments with your suggestions and feedback! 

2 comments:

  1. Muffin-

    1. I love jazz music but I could never drink gin while listening, even if it was F. Scott Fitzgerald's favorite cocktail. I'll never understand your love for drinking pine-flavored alcohol, but can we still be friends?

    2. Your rap/alcohol pairing is beautiful. I hope someday I can jump all over a couch feeling baller.

    3. Can we do Meatloaf karaoke together sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gretchen,

    Awesome recommendations, looks like I have a new plan for my Saturday night! I think this is a super cool idea, and I wanted to try one of my own if you don't mind.

    R&B - Something from a bottle, but not quite as "poppin bottles" as a rap beverage. Maybe something like Vodka and Soda, or a well-poured glass of champagne? Something that says, "Hey, you should want to be me, I'll be sitting quietly in the back of the VIP section at the club."

    Suggestions: R. Kelly, Frank Ocean, Otis Redding (if you want to go further back)

    ReplyDelete